The children of Jamal Khashoggi have received millions of dollars' worth of property, one-off payments and large monthly allowances as compensation for the killing of the Saudi journalist, a source familiar with the matter told CNN on Tuesday.
According to the report, the previously undisclosed payments were part of an effort by Saudi Arabia to reach a long-term arrangement with Khashoggi family members, aimed in part at ensuring that they continue to show restraint in their public statements.
On 2 October 2018, Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered in the Saudi consulate building in Istanbul, Turkey.
Three of Khashoggi's children are now in the USA, while his eldest son is reportedly still based in Saudi Arabia.
Unquestionably, healing the damage inflicted on MBS' reputation in the Beltway and Europe will prove no easy task for the kingdom's crown prince in the post-Khashoggi period. According to the Post, the late journalist's children could receive tens of millions of dollars apiece in so-called "blood money" negotiations.
Saudi officials paint the suspected killers as rogue operators who were supposed to bring Khashoggi back to Riyadh alive.
Khashoggi's children have been quiet about the kingdom's alleged actions even as the story attracted the attention of the world.
But shortly after Khashoggi's killing, cinema chain Vue International put on hold plans to open as many as 30 locations in Saudi Arabia, Chief Executive Officer Tim Richards told The Guardian newspaper at the time.
The Saudi public prosecutor indicted 11 unnamed individuals in November previous year, and secret court hearings began in January.
The writer's two daughters, Noha Khashoggi and Razan Jamal Khashoggi, published an essay in The Washington Post a year ago in which they described their father's hopes for changes in Saudi Arabia but emphasized that he was "no dissident" and did not accuse the crown prince or other Saudi officials of being culpable in his death.
The eldest son, Salah Khashoggi, has stayed in Saudi Arabia. Of those, five face potential death sentences on charges that they played a direct role at the moment when Khashoggi was killed. A guilty verdict could create the potential appearance of more severe punishment for obedient officers who carried out the operation than for more senior officials who ordered it - a group that may include the crown prince himself.
The view that Trump's failure to hold the Saudi government responsible has weakened America's moral standing internationally, in addition to the United States government's credibility, has led to sustained calls on the White House to hold those with Khashoggi's blood on their hands to account albeit to no avail.