Several dead in New Zealand mosque shooting Photogallery

Adjust Comment Print

A witness told NZ news website that a man came in with an automatic rifle and started shooting people. He said they were shaken but unhurt.

Multiple fatalities were inflicted at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on Friday when at least one gunman opened fire on worshippers forcing the city into lockdown as police launched a massive manhunt.

Christchurch Mayor Lianne Dalziel tells the communities of Christchurch to "stay connected during this time". We were maximum 50 yards (45 metres) away. We are very thankful that we weren't caught in the crossfire, but what we saw was straight out of a movie scene.

Team manager Khaled Mashud said the players had had a lucky escape.

The Bangladesh squad were scheduled to fly out of Christchurch at noon on Saturday. Bangladesh team analyst Shrinivas Chandrasekaran said on Twitter.

The team is reported to have left the bus and fled on foot to almost Hagley Oval where it is due to play New Zealand in a test match starting on Saturday.

Australia's cricket team boycotted a tour in Bangladesh in 2015 citing a lack of security. "About ten minutes later they ran out of the bus and ran through Hagley Park and into the Hagley Oval".

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked".

Police said they had one person in custody but they were not sure if others were involved.

Bangladesh players celebrate Jeet Raval's wicket during the second test in Wellington. A reporter traveling with the team said to the news service that "distraught" players "got inside a bus and laid down on the floor after the warning [of what was happening]".

The Bangladesh players were understandably traumatised by the incident.

New Zealand Police have stormed the area and are urging anyone in the area to stay indoors. The members of Bangladesh cricket team were also in the premises. "We have advised the players not to step out".

An global cricket match between New Zealand and Bangladesh has been cancelled after players from the visiting team narrowly avoided a mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch on Friday.

Mass shootings are a rare occurrence in New Zealand, with the last being in 1990 in the small seaside town of Aramoana where 13 people were killed as well as gunman David Gray. "There is no place in New Zealand for such acts of extreme and unprecedented violence, which it is clear this act was".

The Bangladesh team were set to leave Christchurch at midday, and while happy to be heading home to their families, Mashud said they wanted to pass on their support to the New Zealand people. "They're shocked like everyone else".