Disgraced Movie Mogul Harvey Weinstein Loses Bid To Dismiss Criminal Case

Adjust Comment Print

The allegations sparked a movement exposing other instances of men abusing their power over women, with anchors Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose, and most recently, CBS chairman Les Moonves, being fired for their conduct.

Disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein must stand trial for five felony sex crimes, including two counts of rape, after a NY judge rejected his lawyers' push to drop all charges against him.

Weinstein was initially indicted on sex-crime charges involving three women, including one who said that the producer raped her in 2013 at a Midtown Manhattan hotel.

Wearing a dark suit, he walked slowly from a black SUV in NY up some stairs and into the courtroom through the main entrance. He also denied Weinstein's request for an evidentiary hearing. About half a dozen women supporting Time's Up, including actresses Amber Tamblyn and Marisa Tomei, were at the hearing Thursday. One charge was dropped in October, and Weinstein's legal team sought to have the others dropped as well.

DiGaudio allegedly told the witness in February that when she spoke to prosecutors, "less is more". There was no evidence, he wrote, that prosecutors had acted improperly.

"We are obviously disappointed that the court did not dismiss the indictment, but Judge (James) Burke has ruled, and we intend to continue to vigorously defend this case to the best of our ability", Weinstein's attorney, Ben Brafman, said outside the Manhattan courthouse. He also noted that prosecutors were not required to present all the evidence favourable to Weinstein to the grand jury.

Harvey Weinstein in court as judge declines to dismiss #MeToo sexual assault case against him - live updates
Judge to rule on fate of Harvey Weinstein's criminal case

The friend told investigators that Weinstein and the accuser had been "hooking up" consensually for a while and that she never heard her say anything bad about him until past year, Brafman said in a court filing.

Weinstein, 66, has pleaded not guilty to five felony charges, including predatory sexual assault and rape, in connection with two women in separate incidents.

A friend of Evans said she had heard her say that she had willingly engaged in oral sex with Weinstein to secure a movie role.

He apparently told another accuser, Mimi Haleyi, who says Weinstein forced her into oral sex in 2006, to delete text messages that could be potentially embarrassing for her, despite prosecutors' advice not to do so.

"We remain confident despite the court's ruling today, that ultimately at a trial of this case Mr Weinstein will be completely exonerated". He is urging Burke to dismiss the case, writing in a recent court filing: 'The only reasonably prudent decision would be to stop this chaos now'. He was arrested days later and then withdrew his notice to testify before the grand jury that charged him.

Comments