The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 might not be so fireproof after all, as recent reports suggest that the device caught fire while inside a NY woman's purse, destroying all of its contents in an experience the customer described as "traumatic".
As per a report, Diane Chung had stopped using her phone when it became "too hot" and kept it inside the purse. Chung had placed the phone in her purse when "she heard a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke". Chung has now sought ban on the sales of Galaxy Note 9 in the USA, according to her lawsuit filed in the Queens Supreme Court. According to a report by NYPost, her new flagship device had combusted in her purse while she was in the elevator alone on 3 September.
The fact is that lithium-ion batteries, a type of technology used in all smartphones, are fundamentally unstable, and can overheat or even explode due to myriad factors such as stress, heat or being punctured. After that, someone picked up the phone and dropped it in a bucket of water. Chung, whose bag and the contents inside were completely ruin, called it a "traumatic" experience in the lawsuit.
After the Galaxy Note7's fiasco, Samsung had stepped up efforts to prevent such situations from reoccurring. The issue, which the company says is the only one reported, has triggered memories of the battery explosions in dozens of Galaxy Note 7 devices. "Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore".
The incident alleged in Chung's lawsuit is reminiscent of the Galaxy Note 7 nightmare Samsung experienced two years ago. However, some devices that were marked safe also reported cases of fire. To avoid future problems, the company created an eight-point inspection process for its batteries that, Samsung said, goes "well above and beyond the industry standard". At 4,000mAh, it is the biggest battery found in a device that is marketed under the Galaxy Note brand.