Six people have been arrested in Venezuela for involvement in an apparent assassination attempt on President Nicolás Maduro, the interior minister says.
One of those arrested was wanted in connection with an earlier attack on a military installation, Reverol said.
Maduro added there were two explosions, seconds apart, . but he'd initially thought they were fireworks that were part of the military parade. Bodyguards quickly shielded Maduro as troops lined up in the street ran for safety.
Reverol said the "assassination" attempt was carried out by two remotely operated drones and each carrying a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of plastic explosive C4 - "capable of causing effective damage over a 50-meter (164 feet) radius". But the image of martial lockstep was quickly shattered when a second drone hit a building nearby, as scores of soldiers scurried away before the live transmission ended and switched to reruns about the South American country's auto census.
Last year, a rogue Venezuelan police officer hijacked a helicopter and fired at government buildings in what he said was an action against a dictator.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was unharmed after an alleged assassination attempt involving drones.
Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez appeared on state television Sunday to denounce what he called a terrorist attack.
He said one drone flew over the tribune where Maduro was giving a speech but that it became "disoriented by signal-inhibiting equipment" and was thus "activated outside the assassins' planned perimeter". Maduro was on stage with his wife, other officials and military leaders.
Video shows hundreds of soldiers scattering as the explosions occur.
However, in spite of the footage, there have been fire officials present at the scene who claimed the explosion was actually just a gas tank explosion inside a nearby apartment building.
Analysts believed Maduro still holds the military's support, but said the images broadcast live on television on Saturday nonetheless made him appear vulnerable.
Witnesses interviewed by The Associated Press on Sunday confirmed seeing at least one drone apparently linked to an explosion.
"We saw the drone that looked like the size of half a bicycle".
A second suspect had been detained during a wave of anti-Maduro protests in 2014 but had been released through "procedural benefits", Reverol said, without offering details.
"I am fine, I am alive, and after this attack I´m more determined than ever to follow the path of the revolution", said the 55-year-old.
"They tried to assassinate me today", Maduro said on Saturday evening, claiming that "I have no doubt that everything is pointing at the Venezuelan right, the extreme right in alliance with the Colombian extreme right".
U.S. national security advisor John Bolton insisted there was "no United States government involvement" and even suggested that the incident could have been "a pretext set up by the regime itself". Colombia's Foreign Ministry in response said it "emphatically rejected" Maduro's accusations. In an interview with Fox News on Sunday, Trump's national security adviser, John Bolton, stated "unequivocally" that the U.S. was not involved.
Maduro said investigations pointed to financial backers who "live in the United States, in the state of Florida".