Tommy Robinson: English Defence League founder jailed

Adjust Comment Print

He was arrested for a breach of the peace. He was arrested this past Friday, May 26.

A judge had attempted to ban all reporting of the case over the weekend, but it can now be revealed after the restrictions were challenged by Leeds Live and other publications.

Robinson's predicament was summed up by Leeds Live reporter, Stephanie Finnegan, who wrote on Twitter: "Moral of the story: if you want to stay out of jail, don't go ONLINE and discuss or publish details of a court case that hasn't been reported in the media - leave it to the PROFESSIONALS". By then foreign media had released accounts of Robinson's fate, including the prediction that he could be killed by Muslims in jail. He was found guilty of filming in Canterbury Crown Court past year. He was sentenced to 13 months in prison.

The former EDL leader has a criminal record dating back to 2005. In 2011 he was imprisoned for breaching bail conditions.

Last May, Judge Heather Norton sentenced to three months imprisonment but suspended it for 18 months with the rule being he will not commit further offenses.

One source said he was jailed in Hull Prison.

The judge who tried and sentenced Robinson said that his reportage could have caused the ongoing rape trial to collapse, with a new trial potentially causing United Kingdom taxpayers "hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds". The responsibility to exercise that freedom of speech within the law.

Speaking at Canterbury Crown Court on May 22, a judge told Robinson: "This contempt hearing is not about free speech".

Addressing Robinson, Judge Marson said: "I am not sure you appreciate the potential outcome of what you have done".

And as Judge Marson told Robinson, the retrial could cost hundreds of thousands of pounds.

This would mean all witnesses would have to give evidence again in front of a new jury. Meanwhile, the public would be permitted to read about the trial after it was over.

"Can you get me a solicitor?" he asked his supporters while being searched and bundled into a police van, The Independent reported.

In that case, Robinson wasn't one of the rapists, he was trying to film or photograph the rapists, in violation of notices posted around the courthouse. In this case, the judge ordered a temporary media black-out because he feared reporting Robinson's conviction could influence the jury in the very case Robinson was targeting. We believe not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done and that is why this newspaper has been in court, covering that trial and will continue to do so, even though we may not be able to bring you details of it for some months.

In the video, Robinson could be heard reading out defendants' names and the charges they were accused of-some of which were incorrect-as they arrived at the court.

The 35-year-old was charged and sentenced within five hours, and now faces more than a year behind bars.

Robinson is known for his career as an activist against Islamic extremism in United Kingdom and Europe.

Robinson, who helped to develop Pegida UK, an anti-Islam protest movement, and founded the far-right English Defence League, pleaded guilty later that...